Information in English

Here you will find information in english, to help you when you are in contact with the network operator.

You need two contracts in order to get electricty.
A network contract with the network operator in your area, which in your case is Skövde Energi. We own the electricity meter in your residence and the cables in the ground. That is why you get an invoice regarding network fees from us.

You also need to have an electricity supply contract with an electricity supplier regarding your (electricity) consumption. You are free to choose which electricty supplier you sign the contract with.
If you have chosen Billinge Energi, then the electricity suppliers fees and the network owners fees will be charged on the same invoice.

You can choose to get your invoice monthly or quarterly, but if you have more than 3 000 kWh in estimated yearly consumption, you will automatically get your invoice monthly.

We have a cancellation notice on our network contracts of 30 days, so it is important that you let us know in time when you are moving.

However, if you are moving out of a house or an condominium that you are selling, then we waver the cancellation notice and accept the access date of the new owners no matter when you contact us.
But we can’t make any changes if you contact us after the acess. We can only accept future changes.